· Rounds- Supplies in the east continue to be light and fragmented. The hot and rainy weather has caused volume and quality to remain variable. Growers are predicting they will be able to harvest out of NC, TN and VA fields for another 8 days to two weeks. These fields are coming to an earlier-than-normal end due to the extreme heat and rains we have experienced this summer. The Quincy fields have begun to produce in a very light way. It will not be until sometime during the first week of October before volume reaches full production out of those fields. The first tomatoes out of this crop will show some scaring due to the high winds the fields went through from the tropical storm two weeks ago. The quality of the fruit behind that looks better. FOB prices continue to remain in a narrow range with the price of 5x6s and 6x6s falling slightly. We expect tomato prices to continue to remain within a narrow range for another 1-2 weeks.
· Romas- FOB prices are down moderately for all sizes compared to last week with the medium size continuing to be a couple of dollars down from the larger sizes.
· Grapes- FOB prices are down slightly this week. Quality continues to be variable but is improving.
· Cherries- FOB prices have fallen again this week. Quality and shelf-life continue to be variable but is improving
· Weather forecasts- NC/TN Mountains: Partly cloudy skies this week with highs in the upper 70s warming into the 80s by this weekend. Nights will be cool with lows near 60. Little chance of rain until early next week. Western SC: A warming trend this week with highs reaching 90 on Saturday. Little to no chance of rain until Monday. Eastern Shore: Cloudy with a good chance of rain through Friday. Highs will be near 80 through Sunday when it will cool to highs of only 70.
· Rounds- Vine-ripes continue to cross primarily at Baja. However, Tropical Storm Paine is bringing wind and rains and will keep growers out of the fields for several days. Supplies should continue to cross until mid-November. Few are currently crossing at McAllen and a very limited amount has begun to cross at Nogales. CA mature-green growers continue to harvest. Supplies are generally light with a wide range in quality. FOB prices are down on all sizes.
· Romas- Supplies continue to come out of Baja and CA with a wide range in FOB prices which correspond to the quality of the fruit. Few to none are currently crossing at McAllen. Regardless of quality, FOB prices are down again this week on all sizes.
· Grapes- Product continues to cross mainly out of Baja. FOB prices are steady from last week.
· Cherries- Supplies continue to be light and prices are generally steady from last week. Quality is fair to good.
Green Bell Pepper
East- The FOB market in the east remains active with prices generally steady. The southern GA crop starts up this week. We will keep an eye out for bacterial pressures due to the recent rain and storms.
West- FOB prices are lower for all grades and sizes. Quality remains good.
East- The West is continuing to determine market FOB prices this week for most dry veg commodities. In the east, there is a wide range of FOB prices which correspond to the quality of the product. Quality in general continues to improve.
West- FOB prices are steady with downward pressure due to increased supplies.
East- FOB prices generally steady with downward pressure. Quality continues to improve.
West- FOB prices are lower this week on all grades and sizes. Crossings at Baja and Nogales. Quality is good.
Green Beans - FOB prices remain steady with a slight downward pressure. Quality is good.
East- Harvesting has started-up in the south GA fields. FOB prices are down on all grades. Our eastern NC fall crop is beginning to wind down.
West- Supplies are still tight. Prices are down slightly this week but are still strong. More supplies should come on-line toward the end of the month.
East- FOB prices are higher on all sizes and grades. Quality is good.
West- FOB prices are lower this week. Quality is good.
East- FOB prices are steady with downward pressure this week.
West- FOB price are generally steady this week